Forums » Art projects

materials suitable for outside use

• 22 posts
    February 9, 2016 9:53 AM GMT

Good morning, All,

Advice, please regarding a project; because of the displacement of our two primary schools and many of our local community following the Boxing day floods our original ideas have to be put on hold - but would like to still get their involvement.

My plan is to have a display of 'birthday cards' in and around the railway embankments we call gardens, for the local community  including the youngsters, to design and for the display in the easiest way possible for all involved.

Bearing in mind we are a voluntary organisation our funds are limited, as is our own time;

so needs to be A5 size;light in weight, easily cut to size and material, suitable for outside in all weathers (rain); able to take permanent markers.

I've researched and found  Gatorplast - but comes in big sheets and looks fairly expensive - any other ideas from you creative people, please.

Sue

• 22 posts
    February 11, 2016 4:18 PM GMT

Thanks, Martin,

I appreciate what you say, but might prove a problem as I string the tyres up on the planned fishing line props!!

I too have seen some great and inventive uses of recycled goods - but I am recycling newspapers - might that be enough for a brownie point or two? 

This post was edited by sue mitchell at February 11, 2016 4:19 PM GMT
    • 5 posts
    March 26, 2016 1:05 PM GMT

I cut up a sheet of Correx for an outdoor art project over a year ago and it looks as good as new. The kids painted individual panels and I then applied an art varnish before fixing the panels into a frame and displaying on the end wall of the goods shed at Wool station.

• 22 posts
    May 25, 2016 3:09 PM BST
    Tony, thank you for your info re Correx for outside display! Just about to reclaim
    90 works of art from various schools, individuals and the local W.I group - Mytholmroyd Marmaladies! Already have our Cubs creations and they are fab.
    Only have to get them assemnled ready for display on the station embankment. What a joy!

• 22 posts
    July 15, 2016 4:34 PM BST

I know it is now the middle of July, but I have to report that the Correx 'cards' for the Queen's Celebration, all 90 of them, stood up extremely well for two weeks, in the pouring rain for most of that time; and when I took them down - they were in a good enough state to return them all to their creators. The materials were really easy to use, portable and permanent; POSCA water-based paint markers were tremendous, they can be used on most support materials. What is also useful, is they can erase any mistakes should you need to - as long as you let the 'mistake' dry first. Some of the young cubs were very impatient, but with my soothing, 'she must be obeyed' voice they waited the extra seconds.

So - POSCA pens are great! and so is Correx! Thanks to all, including ACoRP for the grant that enabled the exercise to be completed. It was a lovely day