Forums » Station improvements

Public Toilets on unstaff stations

• 6 posts
    January 22, 2016 10:38 AM GMT

The provision of public toilets on stations is a very emotive one, on the one hand most (but not all) trains have some sort of toilet provision, - yes even the humble Pacer has a loo, so do we need to go to the cast of expensive infrastructure at stations also - on the other is, being 'caught short' while waiting for a train.

It’s a hard problem to decide on - no doubt some clever Network Rail economist has come up with a BRC for provision of public loo but lets not go there!

There are some alternatives, if local businesses can be convinced to take part in schemes such as one at North Berwick sent to me by John Yellowlees at ScotRail (who set me off with this topic) there is a partial solution, very handy but not of much use when the galley closes!

There are automatic singing dancing loos like one we can across on a ‘study trip’ to Dresden a year or so back, this device not only served the purpose stated but also cleared itself in a fashion best described as balletic, according to our colleague who witnessed it! He had had a few beers however! These things also come at a not substantial cost – hell back to the BCR again.

So my question to the community is does this matter? And if it does has anyone got a cost effective solution to this provision?

PS between John and Hazel I have heard every pun thankyou!

• January 22, 2016 1:25 PM GMT

Surely the easiest thing is to make them a pay for loo, the money collected could be used to pay for improvements at the station, people would then be less likely to have a moan about paying if they knew the money was going to help with facilities, even if it was only enough to pay for planters/plants (btw i just typed mooney by mistake but decided to delete it!).

• 6 posts
    January 22, 2016 1:45 PM GMT

Yes but then you have the hassle of collecting all those 50p, perhaps when we get nationwide smart card ticketing it might be worthwhile, swipe in for a p! By that time it will be £5 a visit I guess!

• 17 posts
    January 25, 2016 11:46 AM GMT

Many stations have onward travel maps and some of these show the nearest public WC. Nearly all our small stations are located near pubs and I'm that in exchange for a free ticket to London once a year, the TOC could agree that the Pubs facilities be made availavle to the rail users?

• 5 posts
    March 26, 2016 12:59 PM GMT

Our parish council (Wool) has just done a deal with the two pubs which will allow non patrons to use toilets on request. I'm not sure if they'd be happy for us to advertise that fact on the station, but we have put it in our new village leaflet.