Forums » Introduce Yourself

Community Rail Development Officer

• 8 posts
    October 8, 2015 9:53 AM BST

Hello, I am Martin Yallop the Community Stations Development Officer for ACoRP.

My role is to assist and aid any projects you may have for your CRP or station.

I can advise or help with the following:

• Advice on Planning, Building Regulation, Listed Building and/or Conservation Area status.
    • Funding advice.
    • Finding suitable users for redundant buildings.
    • Advice on Heritage such as dating your building or confirming its construction.
    • Liasing with Local Authorities, Government Bodies and Funding Providers.
    • Advising on natural hazards such as Flooding or Radon.
    • And almost anything else station or CRP related

I am originally from Huntingdon near Cambridge and have a long relationship with railway stations and rail travel. There is still nothing to compare with the excitement of setting off from a station on a journey, hanging around Gatwick South Terminal for 6 hours is no substitute.

My background is working in the construction industry for all of the 1970s as a Plant Hire Manager and then running my own business in Pontefract close to Tanshelf station. In the 1980s I moved into Radio Communications installing radio systems into stately homes, country estates and at least one preserved railway, Avon Valley in Bristol.

I finally made it to University in the 1990s and from there went to Local Government as a Historic Buildings Officer and Heritage Centre Manager in North Wiltshire. I co-ordinated a bid to gain World Heritage Status for the Bristol to Bath GWR main line in 1998.

Since 1999 I have also taught Construction and Historic Building Conservation part and full time in FE Colleges and HE Universities.

As I used to say to my students  'I suffered to gain this knowledge . . now it is your turn'