Forums » Art projects

Mural ideas

• 17 posts
    August 10, 2015 10:32 AM BST

I am working on a mural project for Exeter St Thomas station and we are celebrating the horticultural history of the area. I would love to see photos of station platform murals from other areas on a similar theme

• 4 posts
    September 24, 2015 2:20 PM BST

Hi Celia - not sure if this is too late but this is something we did at Huncoat station. Thereis a QR code on the banner that takes you to an animation showing the flowes swaying in the breeze! 

• 17 posts
    September 29, 2015 4:22 PM BST

thanks Simon, it's really pretty, I will send it to my Friends of Exeter St Thomas Station

• 1 posts
    October 13, 2015 3:31 PM BST

o it

This is a mural that was put up at Whitby Station. It was painted by these lads in the picture. They were part of a youth project and their influence on their peers regarding abuse on the station was put to good use. They knew that the local disaffected youths would graffitti the station (they had done the same) and were worried about the musal's longevity so I suggested that they apply three thin coats of PVA as a sealant. It is still going strong. As a safety measure, in case it ever needed to be removed, I mounted it on a strong framework independent of the wall - it is bolted to the floor so can be easily removed. It has been up for six years now.

The best bit for me is the sheep!

It brightens up the station and lots of people have stood next to it for a picture.

Hope this helps

Angie

This post was edited by Angie Thirkill at October 13, 2015 3:32 PM BST
    • 17 posts
    October 13, 2015 3:44 PM BST

thanks Angie that is really helpful advice. I love the mural and is good inspiration for another projects, Agatha Christie murals at Torre Station where we will have scenes from the train related novels as viewed through a train window  

• October 16, 2015 10:18 AM BST

Paul Salveson is on his travels and sent this from Invergordon. You can also see more about the project in the whole town and more images of the murals at the station here- http://invergordonoffthewall.com/murals/